We at butter LONDON are avid TikTok users (@butterlondon for all the mani content), and as time goes by, the app continues to be the place to find out what’s on the up-and-up in the world of beauty. While we don’t swear by all the trends that pop up on our For You Page (bestie, please ~do not~ file your teeth with a nail file), we *have* come across 5 viral makeup moments that we think are worth trying out for yourself to shake up your makeup in 2022.
1. LIP WINGS
A look that somehow manages to mesh e-girl and Y2K pop-punk, the lip wing trend is inspired by the iconic Bratz Dolls of the early 2000s, infamous for their heavily shaded lids and overlined lips. “Lip wings” are created by overlining the outer corners of lips with an upwards flick for a pillowy, doll-like pout.
Get the lip wing trend:
- Exfoliate, moisturise and prep your lips for lip liner application with LIPPY Lip Scrub Sugar Buttercream Treatment.
- Using Spiced Wine Plush Rush Lip Liner, a deep wine lip liner shade, draw an upwards flick at both corners of your lips, just as you would to create a wing with eyeliner.
- Overline the rest of your lips, following your natural lip shape. Use a lip brush to gently blend the colour in towards the centre of the lips for a more natural look.
- Using a thin lip brush, fill in your lips with your favourite butter LONDON lipstick colour (we fancy Frilly Knickers) for a lush, pillowy finish. Finish off blending with your fingers and voila! Lip wings ready for duty.
2. NOSE BLUSH
Take a nose highlight and make it ~ethereal~. There you have it, the nose blush trend. This glow-getting technique has racked up thousands of views for using vibrant eyeshadow shades—whether it be shimmering lilac, hot pink or sage green—on the nose to softly and delicately accent colourful eye makeup looks.
To get the nose blush trend for yourself, pick up your favourite dreamy, iridescent eyeshadow shade along with an eyeshadow brush and get ready to gently diffuse eyeshadow pigment for a soft, natural look. The key is to balance and blend. It’s best to focus on one half of the nose—say, the bridge or the tip, rather than both, so that you can get the nose blush trend’s signature flushing, glowing appearance of skin.
There’s nothing finer than a proper eyeliner, we at butter LONDON like to say. That’s why the “underliner” trend immediately caught our eye. No more worrying about trying to get the perfect winged liner—this trend ditches top lid eyeliner altogether and instead, only lines the lower lid with a bold, smoky line. This dramatic look helps bring attention to your smoldering eyes and fluttering lashes.
4. OMBRE LIPS
We’ve already had ombre hair—why not have ombre lips as well? This TikTok trend uses two lip tint shades, one slightly darker than your lip colour and one slightly lighter, to add dimension to your natural lips. Plus, it’s ruddy simple.
Get the ombre lip trend:
- Use the darker lip tint shade to coat the upper half of your lower lip.
- Use the lighter lip tint shade to coat the outer half of your lower lip.
- Rub your lips together for a blending ombre effect!
The retro reboot is always in, but we’re especially loving how #Y2K is finally getting the heyday it deserves. From mini hair clips and baby pink lids to gloss, gloss and more gloss, there’s plenty of room for your own spin on this mega TikTok trend with staying power long into 2022.
Get the #Y2K look with these butter LONDON products:
- Plush Rush Lip Gloss in The Big Day (soft pink)
- Double Decker Lashes Mascara
- Glazen™ Highlighting Gel in Chandelier (pale pink shimmer)
- Jelly Preserve Strengthening Treatment in Bramley Apple
Follow us on TikTok @butterlondon to keep up with all the latest nail and beauty trends.